Sunday, September 19, 2010

New Fall Project

As I said yesterday, I was going to work on a new fall project that I saw on the CSI project website. How do you think it turned out?


Gorge. It is simple, easy to do, and can be modified for any season. Let me explain :)

First, I hit up the local Dollar General (we only have so many options in the 'Burg). I found four black picture frames of various sizing (two 4x6, one 5x7, and then a larger one... but I forgot the size), and they varied between $2 and $5, thank you very much. And wouldn't you know it, they also had the ribbon there too! The PERFECT fall shade, if you don't mind me saying so :) It was a very successful shopping trip.

Upon returning home, I raided my stash of scrapbook paper and found four fall-ish shades that I thought would be appropriate in the frames. I used my handy-dandy Expo blade to trim the paper against the glass (it was quick and better than scissors, I tend to have a shaky (ahem, not straight) hand when I cut.

Once the paper was cut, it was time to do the letters. Now, a normal person would have written each letter on the paper. Not I, friend. I wrote each letter on the GLASS. This way, I can switch out paper every year to have a "new" fall decor item. Plus, I am hoping to re-create this same idea for every season (my thoughts were for Christmas/Winter, I could do such phrases as "joy", "peace", etc). In order to achieve this, I want to have a plethora of letter frames and I can swap the paper out for the specific season. But- each frame will have different ribbon, so I may have to modify just a bit.

Now, back to the project. Once I was done writing the letters (I used an XL sharpie marker, and I practiced on a spare piece of glass that I had from an old project), I inserted the paper and it was CAH-ute. Next was the ribbon. I measured and tied the knot I wanted for each frame, and then I busted out my favorite toy, the hot glue gun :) I glued the ribbon to the back of the frame. Once they all were dry and secure, I found a perfect spot in our entry way (I'll add the entire picture soon) and it is so homey and welcoming now!

I nailed my holes in various heights along the wall because a)the frames were different sizes, and 2)I wanted a not-so-perfect look (and c)I'm lazy and was too tired to be a perfectionist) :)

Now we have new fall decor for the cost of about $12. Holler :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment: thank you for leaving some love!