Sunday, April 10, 2011

That's What I Like About Texas

It's that time of year when all Texas schools do a Texas unit! Hooray- one of my most favorite units of the whole year! I think it's so important for students, even at a young age, to learn about their state. Here are the fun projects we did! Excuse the quality of the pictures, when they are enlarged, it makes them all crazified.

We learned about our state symbols: we put all of these pages together to make a mini-book.

State Flower: bluebonnet


State Bird: mockingbird


State Flag: Lone Star Flag


State Tree: pecan


State Seal (which goes on important papers from the state)


We also talked about the various Texas animals. Did you know that our state large mammal is the longhorn, and our state small mammal is the armadillo? We made armadillos :)


We also talked about how EVERYTHING is BIG in Texas (according to the rest of the country too), so we illustrated various things that are big in Texas! It was so cute!


We made Texas flags, of course.


We also sampled Texas food: chili (the state food of Texas) and chips with salsa (the state snack of Texas). Afterwards, we created a graph to see which was liked the most!


I could have gone on and on and ON with this unit, but we only have so much time :) It was a great time!

5 comments :

  1. I too just love this unit. I really like the what is big in TExas, too cute.

    http://mrsguntoriusclass.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your state unit. I'm from Georgia... I'm thinking about doing one too! Great job!

    http://estes-extras.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience for your students.
    I love all of the activities you did.When I do my patriotic unit I also pull in some information and activities on California to meet some Social Studies standards.
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, THANKS for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I am a little fish in what is fast becoming an ocean!

    As I scrolled through the pics, I was sure I'd see "Hair is big in Texas!" LOL {}--I have good friends from Texas, here in the midwest, and they are proud (rightfully so!) of their gorgeous curls!

    Today, I taught my kiddos the "Long Tall Texan" song by Greg and Steve. It is one of my fav classroom singalong songs. One line in and I acquire an accent. I think I am really a southern girl at heart. Have a great week!

    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO going to do this here in California. What a great unit -- and thanks for showing it so well.

    Born in Texas, lived there 6 months and still bring it up occasionally, with pride, lol

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment: thank you for leaving some love!