Monday, August 20, 2012

[make] Knotty Blanket

Don't get any ideas, you guys :)

I needed a soft blanket to add to a "We Care" bucket in my classroom (basically a bucket for a kiddo to grab something out of when they are feeling sad and need something cuddly to help them feel better). Of course no-body has those cheapy $5 fleece blankets they have everywhere during Christmas-time. Then it hit me. Duh. Make my own. Here's what I did:

Gather supplies (two colors of fleece- tan and mustard yellow for me), coordinating fabric (leopard print of course), rotary cutter, scissors, not pictured: sewing machine and coordinating thread

Cut your two fleece fabrics the same size. I just wanted a small blanket (kind of like what Linus carries around in Charlie Brown cartoons) so I cut the two pieces into a rectangle shape.

I wanted to add a heart with my coordinating fabric since this blanket was going in my "We Care" center... just to show some love when they are feeling sad. To make a perfect heart, fold your fabric in half and cut out half of a heart. Unfold and voila!


Next, decide where you want your heart to lay on your fleece fabric (just pick one of your fleece pieces). If I were to do this again, I would've pinned it further away from the edges, but oh well. Live and learn!

Stitch that heart on there yo.

Pretty zig-zag stitches.

Next, put your two fleece pieces on top of each other and go around the perimeter of your blanket to cut little slits, about 1 inch wide. All the way around....

To where it looks like this:

Then plop yourself in front of the TV (yep, that's the Olympics... I did this a while ago...) and start tying knots!

If a little girl sits in your lap and cuddles with its sweet softness, don't push her away (or turn the lights on apparently).

The end! See how the heart is so close to the edge? Meh. Next time :) But the knots secure the fleece pieces together without you having to sew all the way around and then having to turn it inside out and then having to stitch it closed... Whew.

Hahahaha. I can't make this stuff up. Okay, she did sit on it and I told her to lay down so I could get an adorable picture. Mission accomplished. I believe she feels cared for.

Have you ever made one of these blankets? I made one in high school with my aunt (blue/white background with footballs all over it... took it to games when I cheered and marched in the band)... Oh the glory days.

Happy Monday! I survived our first full day of school yesterday. How many more to go? ;)

See where I link up: Monday Made it @ 4th Grade Frolics, Blog Hop @ Naptime Review, Tips & Tricks @ Stringtown Home, What I Whipped Up Wednesday @ Sugar and Dots, Craft-O-Manic Monday @ Craft-O-Manic, Link Party @ Uncommon, Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts, Show Me What Ya Got Linky Party @ Not JUST A Housewife, {Wow Me Wednesday} @ Ginger Snap Crafts, Link Party @ Destination: Craft, The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible, Before & After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick, Weekend Wrap-Up Party @ Tatertots and Jello, What I Wore Wednesday @ The Pleated Poppy 

"Ruin my life, the plans I have made. Ruin desires for my own selfish gain. Destroy the idols that have taken Your place, til its You alone I live for... You alone I live for." -Jeff Johnson



2 comments :

  1. What an adorable blanket!! I wish I was cuddled up in it right now! The leopard heart is the perfect touch :)

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment: thank you for leaving some love!