Wednesday, May 28, 2014

[travel] Round Top and Warrenton

Most likely, unless you are from South Texas, you have never heard of these two teeny tiny towns. However, twice a year, both of these towns populate well into the thousands. Why? Because of Antique Weekend! (click the link for more info) I have posted about Round Top and Warrenton before, sharing my steals and deals:

Here
Here
And Here

But during our last trip this spring, Nate and I did a bit more exploring in Round Top (of the actual town and buildings) than we normally do. Here are some snippets of our day...


 The beginning of Warrenton: the booths go for milesss and milesss.
 

The following pictures were taken in Round Top: there are also antique booths here, but not as widely spread as in Warrenton. We explored more of the town (pop: 90) and the buildings we hadn't seen before.

Oh. My. Yum.

Precious church in Round Top: Haw Creek Church built in 1871.
 

Isn't this a beautiful door? And look at the ceiling. Wow!

This book was on a desk at the back of the church... Look closely!

Dated 1898! And it wasn't behind a display case, which I thought was interesting. They are very trusting people! I believe it was a record book for goods purchased... cigars I think? I don't know.
 

German sign hanging in the church... the picture below this one gives details about the church's background and what the sign says. Unfortunately, the glare from the sunlight blocks out a part of the translation, but it mostly says, "____ call the living to the church and the dead to the grave."

Gorgeous pipe organ!

Nate and I want to go out of our comfort zones when we travel and explore the places we haven't been before... it is easy to go where you normally visit each time, but sometimes you need to go off the beaten path to see things you wouldn't normally see. We have been to Round Top MANY times but had never been inside this precious church.

How about you? Going on any day trips and exploring around you? Do tell (especially if you're in Texas: Nate and I love making day trips)!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment: thank you for leaving some love!